The start of a new school year is always filled with certain chaos. Clothes and shoes have been outgrown, frequent trips to the store for new notebooks and glue sticks, homework after a summer of no-work, and cooler temperatures at night. The beginning of a new school year always feels like more of a change than birthdays or New Year’s. My youngest is going into high school; how can that be?!? For me, food has always been a calming influence in my life. When I am stressed out I cook; feeling a little blue, I bake a batch of brownies. I always liked to have something home-baked when my kids came home from school. Nothing beats the smell of something baking in the oven. One of my favorite after school snacks is a homemade granola bar. This recipe is easy and fool-proof and the best part is that you don’t have to turn on your oven while the temperature outside is still hot. It is also a great recipe because you can mix and match. Add a few Tablespoons of sunflower seeds, nuts or raisins. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Don’t like coconut? Leave it out. Your kids will love these chewy treats.
No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars, makes 8
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup krispie rice cereal
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 2 oz. butter
- 1/4 cup honey (can use maple syrup or agave)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Mix oats, rice cereal and coconut in a large bowl
- In a saucepan on the stove melt together the butter, honey and brown sugar and boil for two minutes.
- Pour butter mixture into oat mixture and stir well. Let cool a few minutes before adding 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Press into an 8×8 inch square pan. Press down well. Let sit one hour before cutting into 8 bars. Wrap any leftovers in plastic or parchment.
Contributor: Susan O’Keefe
Susan O’Keefe has been baking since she was a little girl. With a passion for baking and a background in marketing and sales, she opened Baked by Susan right in the heart of the little river town of Croton-on-Hudson where she lives with her husband and three growing boys.
More Info on contributor…